Menu de navigation
Communication: not just knowledge, but also analysis and action
When people hear the word communication, they usually think of television, radio and newspapers. But the field of communication also includes advertising, public relations, broadcasting policies, new technologies and business communication.
There are many different concerns in this field, and the Department addresses a wide variety of issues:
- The consequences of the media on individuals and society in general, and the meaning and impact of images and text.
- The role of communication in the evolution of social, cultural and political movements.
- The integration of new technologies within organizations;
- Strategic planning in communication.
The Department of Communication focuses on 2 broad areas:
- Mass media / new technology – primarily studying the social, cultural, legal and institutional aspects of media.
- Organizational aspects – looking at all forms of business communication, both internal and external.
The Department of Communication does not train technicians, but rather communication professionals skilled in contextual analysis and in designing and developing communication strategies.
Thanks to this approach, the training offered by the Université de Montréal will always stay current and relevant, no matter how quickly technology evolves.
Our professors, all of them very active in their fields, are true stars in the communications world. The Université de Montréal is honoured that its faculty includes a number of prolific authors of articles and scientific texts and renowned figures who often headline major international conferences.
Among our highly qualified professors are several winners of faculty and university teaching awards.